Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Noi abbiamo un nuovo presidente....FORZA OBAMA

I have never been prouder to be an American as I was on election day and more so the day after! Since arriving in Rome, I have been trying my hardest to fit in, to look and act and speak like an Italian. But November 4th and 5th, I wanted everyone to know I was an American. And still, I am so proud of my country and the change that will hopefully come to our country and world.

I was able to vote absentee, which was very important to me. This was my first election that I was eligible to vote, and I feel it is our duty to do so. I was only able to watch coverage on my computer, with my terrible internet connection, but I tried to keep up with it throughout the day. It didn't help that I had a huge Art History exam the next day. The time difference also made it next to impossible to stay up and watch all of the coverage. But I'll never forget the feeling of waking up to my roommates telling me "WE did it! HE did it!" We all gathered around my tiny bed and watched his acceptance speech from Chicago, and looked at the map of the states, colored red and blue.

Anyway, I just feel so fortunate, so blessed to have been born in America and have the privilege to vote and participate in our government and more importantly our future. Whatever your beliefs or opinions, it seems to be a consensus around the world that this is a monumental, historical day in our history, and I can't believe I was a part of it. I do wish I could have been in the states for the election, to feel the excitement and intensity of the moment. It is an interesting perspective for my brother Justin and I to be abroad at this time, and to watch the world's interest and reaction to our country's election. My hope now is that these promises for change will be carried out in political, economic, social, domestic and foreign policy in our country. Watching the coverage, I couldn't help but think about Tim Russert, and how much he would have loved this. He was such a role model for me, and hearing him speak about it in person last April, you knew that this would be one of the highlights of his career. I loved Tom Brokaw's reflection when he said that the election of Barack Obama and the subsequent effects of his presidency are sweeping and the magnitude still not comprehensible to us. Obama's campaign and election has instilled in all Americans the desire for "a re-enlistment of citizenship," that anyone can become president (even Justin!!) if they work hard enough, that nothing is impossible. As a young adult, there is nothing more exciting than that prospect!!

No comments: